Chingford 7 - 8 Rams

Date: Sat 29th Oct 2016

Time: 3pm

Match Report

The Rams travelled to Chingford on Saturday for the latest instalment of this seasons BL campaign. Confidence within the squad was very high following on from the large winning margins of the last few matches but the home team were more than up for the contest and what followed was a very tight affair which went right down to the wire.

Harlow started strongly but the abrasive home defence halted any thoughts of an early score and, after weathering the early onslaught, Chingford began making inroads into Harlow territory where The Rams defence showed itself to be equally adept at stifling their opponents attacking plays.

It was late in the first half before the first points of the day were posted following an infringement by Chingford just inside their twenty-two and Chay Clark stepped up and duly slotted over the penalty kick; 0-3.

Harlow were now beginning to take a grip of the match and the half finished with them looking to be in relative control of proceedings but within minutes of the restart the home team had taken the lead following a superb break from their scrumhalf; 07-03.

The Rams responded well and the following twenty minutes saw them take the game to the home team, constantly driving into Chingford territory and coming close to scoring on several occasions but each time the home defence managed to stop their try line being crossed.

Kerry Palmer came within inches of repeating his try scoring exploits of last week, advancing into the Chingford twenty-two with three defenders draped off of him only to be finally brought down within a couple of metres of glory.

Chingford cleared their lines but again The Rams pressed forward looking for the elusive opening and it was a step and injection of pace from Dan Hockley that eventually found it.

The ball was set up nicely by the pack on the halfway line, quickly recyled and shipped down the backline to the waiting Hockley who stepped inside his man and raced for the line. The Chingford cover defence chased him down hard and appeared to have closed down his space but another step inside saw Hockley move clear of the chasers and cross the line for the score; 07-08.

The home team came back strongly from this score and, following a couple of well executed driving mauls, they were once again deep inside Harlow territory but again the defence held firm.

A Chingford penalty on the halfway line set up an attacking lineout fifteen metres from the Harlow line and the official indicated that this was to be the last play of the game.

The throw was good and the Chingford pack set up the ball and began to drive towards the try line. Desperately the defenders fought to halt the forward momentum but still they edged on.

The Chingford No. 8 picked his moment and broke for the line only to be met by Danny Fitz who pulled off a textbook, try-saving tackle. The rest of the Harlow pack were there in an instant, turning over the ball and presenting it to substitute scrum-half Andre Riddell who cleared to touch with a sweetly struck box kick.

Final whistle and a Rams victory by the narrowest of margins but a victory none the less.

Try: D. Hockley
Pen: C. Clark

Team List:
1. Barrie Hussey, 2. Mitchell Hodgkinson, 3. Danny Fitzgerald, 4. James Roberts, 5. Kerry Palmer, 6. Dean Read, 7. Dan Stevenson, 8. Charlie Robinson, 9. Alfie Clark, 10. Chay Clark, 11. James Behr, 12. Ryan Clark, 13. Dan Hockley, 14. Ashley Westall, 15. Jack Almond, 16. Did Mortimer
17. Dan Makepeace, 18. Michael Watts, 19. Andre Riddell, 20. Connor Bates.